Slide Show

Monday, September 30, 2013

Endings

Recently I watched Dexter’s final episode. It was a series I was watching for eight seasons and I was anxious to know how the story would end. Well, if you were a fan too, you’ll know that the ending was disappointed. For most of us anyway.

That made me thinking about endings and my mind flooded with all the endings that stuck in my head. Until I came up with a conclusion. We pay more attention to endings than it should.

We watch a series or read a series and we keep moving from one season to another, from one book to another, trying to figure out how the story will end. That keeps us watching or reading, right? But we enjoy the moments we spend reading (or watching), we think about it, we talk to friends, recommend them to watch it too or read it. We are excited. And then we are close to finish it. The final episode or the last book. Our hearts pounds and we are eager to know the end. Will the MC find peace? Will he/she find redemption? Deep down we all hope for a happily ever after.

But turns out the ending isn’t good. We are not happy about it and that means is no good. We shake our heads, we get angry. The image we had created shatters into million pieces and a sour taste takes the place of the sweet one we were used to have. And now what?

Even though the end of a story is important, it’s not the most important part of the story. Happy ending doesn’t necessarily means that the character will be happy and smiling. If he/she gets what she/he wants, then it’s fine by me. I prefer if the ending is logical and fits to the story than a happy ending which will just make me smile.

So, I get Dexter’s ending and even though I am not happy with it, I am satisfied. Ending is tricky but after all few it’s just a few minutes in a show, or a few lines in a book. It’s no big deal.

What do you say?


4 comments:

  1. Since I don't have cable, I haven't seen Dexter, much less its ending. I do agree that it's best for an ending to fit a story, though, and not be a shoehorned happy one. (In fact, tragic endings are often what I gravitate to, heh.)

    While I agree that other parts of a story are important, endings still have a small edge over them to me. This is because I've come across certain endings that irrevocably change how I view the entire series. If it's in a way that irks me...bye-bye any fun I would've had re-reading or re-watching that series. (One example of this is those "it was all just a dream" endings.) This might just be me, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right. Those endings made me angry. It's one thing to enjoy a story and not so much the end, but it's quite another to learn that the story didn't really existed!

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. I am a total ending girl. It doesn't matter how much I love the show/book/movie, if the ending is crap, I will never venture that way again. My mind won't let me forget how everything ended up.

    Now I can stop mid-series if I felt the author/writers went off the rails and still enjoy the earlier installments, but that's because I quit early enough. But I dance around whether it has to be a happy ending because I have to admit how sappy I am. I'm always rooting for the bad guys to change and the struggling romance to make it. It's like a sickness or something. Great post, Athina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. I knew you would be a happy ending girl. :)
      Me on the other way I get mad when everything is so smooth and painless. It isn't realistic. :)

      Thanks for stopping by, Robyn.

      Delete