Slide Show

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Harry Hole: The Devil's Star

Oh, Harry, Harry, Harry!

Another Harry Hole book ended and Harry’s story rock my world once again. But he was so different this time, so dark and sad. He had sunk into depression and swam in a sea of alcohol where drowning was almost certain. Oh yeah, he was a mess, a total mess, but his story was so worth reading.

Are you ready for another Harry Hole discussion? I always am.


It’s summer, the heat is unbearable and a series of murders makes things even worse. Women are found dead in different places, their bodies mutilated. Harry is assigned the case, forced to work with Tom Waaler, a collogue he neither likes nor trusts. And as if this wasn’t enough, Harry is off the rails with booze, so barely holding onto his job.

Can he solve this case? Can he find the mysterious killer, but can he also expose Waaler’s dark side and get over with him once and for all? But pursuing the truth comes at a price, and soon Harry finds himself on the run and forced to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see.

I loved this story from the start. It gets right to the point, starting with an interesting kill. And the game is on. We have a killer on the loose and the most interesting cooperation! Harry and Tom. We see a drunk Harry, lost in his nightmares and remorse, while Tom is neat and smart and always on edge. What a combination!

The plot is very interesting and the characters are amazing. I love Nesbo’s way of writing and I was so curious to see what an interesting twist he would think this time. And he did surprise me with some developments even if I had guessed who the killer was. That’s my curse, hehe.

I always recommend a Harry Hole book, just pick one and start reading it. Nesbo will make you want more.

And I couldn’t end this post without a good excerpt.

When people say that what I’ve done is insane, that my heart must be crippled inside, then I say: Whose heart is more crippled, the heart that cannot stop loving or the one that is loved but cannot return that love?



6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you enjoyed another book from this series! (Not surprised that you did, though...hehe.) Also, great quote! It's so profound...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe not a surprise indeed. Every time I want to read something special, I choose Harry Hole by Jo Nesbo. You should read one of his books.

      Delete
  2. What a quote! I could get lost in lines like those. Harry sounds like he's really in a bad way in this installment. Your review makes me want to read this even though grizzly murders and barely functioning alcoholics are a bit out of my comfort zone.

    Hey, have you read Tell No One or seen the movie? You might like it. I saw the movie (with English subtitles)

    I hope you have a great rest of the week, Athina!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't tell if it's Harry or not. I don't want to spoil anything. Nesbo writes in multiple POV's and he writes them cleverly. You should read one of Harry's stories, Robyn!:)

    No I haven't watch this movie, but I'll check it out.
    Thanks for stopping by. Have a great rest of the week too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that excerpt! The pair with as a boozed-up and neat and smart team working together definitely sounds like it would be entertaining while offering some drama. Great review :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jaclyn! Yeah, it was very entertaining. I love a good twist and Nesbo is delivering so far. :)

      Have a great day!

      Delete