Slide Show

Monday, March 16, 2015

Fever Series: Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning


MacKayla Lane has a good, simple life until her sister is murdered and she flies all the way to Dublin in order to find out the murderer. The quest though draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask.

When I started reading this book I couldn't decide if I liked the writing style. Not that it's not well-written, but I was confused about the oversharing. I'm referring to those parts where Mac saw or did something and then she told us, addressing to the readers, that later she would learn something about it, or that it was the first of many times to do that. I was like: why are you telling me this and not just let me see it? Well, of course it was to build tension and hook us, but it still felt awkward.

About the story. I like the whole concept with the MC having a power that she doesn't even know. It's always interesting to follow a character who is not fully aware of her potentials and in this case, MacKayla Lane with the blond hair and pink nails, her pretty girlish stuff and stylish outfits was just delightful.

But I'm having a thing with this book. I don't know how to phrase it, but it's just that it felt ... funny? Yes, that's the word I was looking for. Funny! Mac is the opposite of the person she needs to be, she is too much of a girl to be chased by that kind of monsters and some of the monsters are also ... funny! Perhaps I'm confusing you so let me tell you this. If ruthless Vlane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women– didn't make you laugh, then it's just me that finds it a little out of place. But I do. One moment the story seemed to getting serious and when I was ready for something to happen and blow my mind, well, Vlane happened! Fae causing ruthless sex addiction? Hmm, I would think twice before create a character like that.

To sum up, Darkfever is an enjoyable book, but not the urban fantasy one I was expecting it to be. More adventurous and powerful. Mac kicking asses like a pro in her perfect manicured, pink nails ... well you have to try harder to hook me. I will keep reading this series because it has a promising plot and I want to know who murdered Alina and more info about Barrons. I seriously need to know more about Barrons. I think I liked him more than Mac because she is just so immature to my taste.

So, moving to the next one. I 'm really curious!

Please do share your thoughts about this book and series.

Happy Monday!


4 comments:

  1. I was really conflicted when I started in on this series too but all my blogger friends urged me to keep going and I'm glad I did. Mac goes through an incredible transformation throughout the series and really does become the heroine she NEEDS to be. I had a hard time with her Barbie image at first too but that changes quite a bit. The series gets better and better with every book and by the time you reach book 3 or 4 you will no doubt be HOOKED for life. Glad to hear you're going to continue on with the series, and I hope it delivers as much for you as it did for me :D Lovely review^^

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear a lot about book #3 and I look forward to read it. If Mac becomes the heroine she needs to be then I don't doubt that I'll enjoy this series! It's reassuring that you loved it as you kept reading.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this book, but I remember seeing some blogger buddies of mine praise it in the past. Hope the series does a better job of hooking you the more you read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope too, Heather. I started reading book #2 and I'm not yet impressed, but it's pretty soon. I do cross my fingers. :)

      Delete