Slide Show

Thursday, January 7, 2016

A Letter to You




Dear self,

Sometimes I know that you just let it go. You're tired, maybe your head hurts or you are not in the mood, and you think: I'll do it tomorrow there's no harm done.

And tomorrow comes and passes by so fast and you're still lost somewhere between life and responsibilities that you barely realize that another day is over. You lay in bed, thinking that you'll do it tomorrow and without even acknowledging it you're in a loop.


Time is like a black hole, swallowing your life before you can react. You don't feel the threat because you think that there's always tomorrow, but what you fail to understand is that tomorrow is now and you need to do it now!

So today I did it. I opened the Word file and looked at it. I read the last chapter I had written and I continued the story. I didn't write a lot because I didn't have much time but since when time became a reason for me not to write? I used to write in the subway, or in the bus to work, I used to write after I had gone to bed, since the idea could not leave my mind unless it was written down, and I used to write even for ten minutes after a busy day. But lately, my dear self, all I hear you say, is: I'll do it tomorrow.

So, beloved self, it's time to cut the crap and start writing because the clock is ticking again, don’t you hear it? Before we know it, we’ll find ourselves say goodbye to yet another year. Well, not until this novel is finished! Do you hear me?

Get to work; write it down, it's not that you actually have a choice!

Sincerely,
Yourself.

P.S: I'm watching you.

4 comments:

  1. So true about time being like a black hole. Even when I'm at my most productive, the days just seem to slip by so quickly anymore, resulting in very little accomplished. Glad you finally got around to opening that Word file! Best of luck squeezing in even more time to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather. It's always people against time after all, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. "Time is like a black hole" I don't think we realise that all that procrastinating and laziness when we're staring into space or doing something we positively hate is such a waste of time we don't realise we're using. I know most people say this about watching TV or procrastinating, and while I don't condone procrastination, there's nothing much wrong with indulging in some TV.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, but we do need idle time. We need to stop at some point for the mind to empty and to see things clearly.

      So, let's enjoy the time we spend watching TV. :)

      Delete