Slide Show

Sunday, January 31, 2016

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh


Jenna Gray’s life changes so fast due to a terrible accident and the only thing that keeps her sane is moving to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast.

At the same time, DI Ray Stevens is tasked with seeking justice for a mother who is living every parent's worst nightmare. Determined to get to the bottom of the case, it begins to consume him as he puts both his professional and personal life on the line.

The story starts with the accident and immediately I felt eager to know what was going to happen. It was vivid and strong and I was overwhelmed with emotions. But then things got a little hazy.

I let you go is one of the strangest books I read so far. For starters, we follow the story from two different POVs. One chapter is from Jenna Gray’s point of view written in first person and the other is from Ray Steven’s point of view, written in third person. I didn’t like the change a lot. I appreciate the different POVs but I would like it to be more consistent to one type of narration.

As I kept reading things got a bit dull. We followed Jenna to her new city, we see her struggling and trying to accept the new reality, while back in Bristol, DI Steven’s is not doing much regarding the accident.  

The story is dragging and flipping through the pages was a hard task. I was wondering why we need all those details while we see nothing about the accident. I was frustrated and I almost stopped reading, when something extraordinary happened.

It was sudden and I certainly didn’t see it coming, which made me feel excitement. Sadly it didn’t last too long. The next chapter I read was from another character’s POV and even if it was a powerful and interesting one, I was disappointed with the sudden change.

I loved some of the author’s descriptions and she managed to stir up such emotional turmoil, but most of the story was uneventful and dull.

So, two stars for this book. 

Do you know this book? Please share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment