Slide Show

Monday, March 7, 2016

On writing: Deadlines kill creativity




When I’m planning to write or edit or when I set a deadline or something, I know for a fact that I WON’T make it! It’s like when I’m trying to make plans, little goblins surface from their underground caves just to make sure that I'll miss that deadline.

And they always win!

Did you ever wonder why this is happening?

I can’t find a logical explanation but I know some ways to stop the goblins! We will get those chapters done! Here’s how:

1) Free time. Don't always make plans to meet friends or go shopping. Stay at home and rest while you scroll down the chapters you already written. Inspiration will come in you make room for it!

2) Don't think that you HAVE TO write. If you make it sound like a task then sure as hell you will avoid it.

3) Find time for brainstorming. Even if it's some minutes before sleep or while heading to work, focus on the story you're writing. It will help you develop a plot and inspire you to write.

4) Don't take it too seriously! If you feel stuck and disappointed and like it's not getting anywhere, then stop thinking and just write. Open the Word file and write the first thing that comes to your mind. Just make this MC do something. You'll have plenty of time for revisions when the story is actually finished.

5) Don't talk too much about it. I know that talking about your manuscript and about your story can be very helpful, especially if you have someone who really cares about your writing. But talking is not always helpful because we may get a false feeling of accomplishment. We’ll trick the mind to believe that we’ve done the job and we will postpone it yet another time.

6) Read the chapters you have already written. When I read the story again, I feel that rush, that excitement of a WIP and I want to finish the story. It's a very inspiring and if I don’t get distracted then I know I’ll finish that chapter.

7) So, don’t get distracted. I won’t say not to surf the internet or to turn off the Wi-Fi, but when writing try not to waste too much time on the internet. It’s best to stare at the blank screen and brainstorming than to scroll down the FB page.

8) Read something that inspires you. If it's a book that you love, or one that inspires you, the chances to write are pretty high. I get motivated by a good book and I’ve noticed that it’s easier to write after half an hour of reading an interesting story.

So those are the tricks I use to avoid those little creatures that won’t let me write and you know what? I’m gonna kill them one day, I know I will!;)

Happy writing!

5 comments:

  1. Great tips! I have a tendency to miss deadlines, too. The only ones I'm good at keeping are commissions...but that's probably because my brain (rightly) views those as more important. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, commissions are good, Heather! As for the other deadlines let's just enjoy the whooshing sound they make!;)

      Delete
  2. 1, 2, 5: My deadliest enemies! Very good advice Athina. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Penny. I think number 2 is the one you should try to defeat and the rest will be a piece of cake.

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha, I guess you had me in mind when you wrote that one! ;)

      Delete