Slide Show

Thursday, September 15, 2016

And all that drafts




I’m swimming in drafts.

I don’t say drown for the truth is that I know what I’m doing now. The knowledge I acquired through those years of learning the craft of writing is like a life jacket, so I float for I have tons of things yet to learn. But this doesn’t change the fact that I created a pool of drafts and dived into it for quite some time.


Each one of those drafts is a new version of the original story; some consist of the tiniest details while others are completely different. And yet, I need just another draft, to rewrite the book, for this is the best way, that’s a tough lesson I learned.

But there’s a problem.

Have you ever left too attached to your book? I cut one thing and the next minute I’ve rewritten it without realizing how this happened. But I don’t need it. I don’t need that part, and yet it comes back to haunt me whatever I do. So I realize that I can’t let it go.

This is my favorite baby and even though I’ve written and rewritten the second book in this series, the first one is giving me such a hard time. I’ve started a new draft but I’m ready to delete it and start again. Have you ever felt like that?

I know that I must be harsh with this book, to look right into those pages and decide what I need and what I really don’t. But this is my darling and I do not want to kill it!

We need to grow a thick skin and that’s not only necessary to protect us from criticism. Those of us who do everything alone, we need to be:

  • Objective
  • Harsh and
  • Bold

Bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. I've gotten better at "killing my darlings" over the years, but it's still hard sometimes. The needs of the story always win out, though, since leaving those scenes in are ultimately detrimental, no matter how much I love them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather. Yes, we need to cut some scenes and be objective with your work can sometimes be troubling. But we're all getting there, don't we?

      It's always a pleasure to see you here. :)

      Delete