Slide Show

Friday, October 14, 2016

InterWorld



This year is practically dedicated to Gaiman, for no particular reason. I just happened to read many of the books I wanted to read for so long. And let’s be honest, what is better than a Gaiman story?

This time though, I chose a book he wrote with another writer, Michael Reaves, and things got a bit tangled.

InterWorld tells the story of Joey Harker, a very average kid who discovers that his world is only one of a trillion alternate earths.  He meet the strangest people and they team up and try to keep the balance of power between all the earths stable.

Joey is a very simple kid, a kid who can get lost in his own house, and I did love him for that. I think he is the simpler character I ever read but he was very interesting. The truth is that I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I expected, even though I did like the whole “Walker” idea and mostly I started reading it because I was very curious about the multi-dimensional concept.

This is a book with world wars and magic and multiple universes. If you're up for something out of the ordinary, I do suggest you to read it. I just found it a bit chaotic and fast-paced, more than I expected at least. Maybe I was too old for this book, even though I don’t believe that books and ages are a thing. If that makes sense. 

I just felt that everything was tangled together, like magic and technology, even though the writers tried to separate those two concepts it didn't work very well for me. 

This book though had very interesting ideas and it was a good research read for a project I'm working on. ;)

So cheers to the next Gaiman story! 

4 comments:

  1. That's a shame this book didn't reel you in like you hoped, but I'm glad there were still certain aspects you could enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I think that there's always something to gain by reading a book. And I do need research for my books. ;)

      Delete
  2. The alternate realities would probably be very inspiring for Meg's crazy life, huh? The idea of trying to keep inter-dimensional balance and having ordinary characters responsible for such a thing is rich with potential, but I've read a few juvenile fiction stories that fed my imagination but not the reader in me. So confession time, I haven't read a Neil Gaiman story yet. Ack! Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was inspiring and Meg is going through some changes, so I really needed it.

      But yes, you described it so well, Robyn. There are books that feed the imagination and those that feed the reader. So win win, right?

      Oh, you have to read Gaiman! If you want your imagination to explode, please do read Gaiman!

      Delete